The new Local Plan, what does it say about retail & business for Frome? Report 3
By LoveFrome | Tuesday, November 20, 2012, 14:20
The new Local Plan assesses demand for shops & businesses and sets the strategy for town growth. Here is what it says about Frome's needs for retail, leisure & business uses in the future to 2028;
Saxonvale illustrative plan for Frome
'Table 10' in the Local Plan
"In terms of food store provision, capacity to 2021 – a reliable future horizon – is limited on account of existing operators and consents recently granted in Glastonbury and Wells. Any future stores will be predicated on competition rather than absolute need for them. Scope for better food stores in town centre locations which attract shoppers to purchase food and goods from other shops exist, however a fine balance is needed to ensure the wider vitality and functioning of those centres is maintained, and regeneration of sites in Frome will need to be especially cautious in this respect." (pg. 17)
"Town centre redevelopments, including Saxonvale and, in the longer term, the Westway Centre, (as identified on the Proposals Map as CP6C), will collectively deliver:
- a medium scale foodstore of about 1500 sq.m (net) - including only an ancillary element of non-food goods - to supplement limited town centre choice and in turn draw back trade from out of town large format foodstores.
- Up to 7,000 sq.m of additional non-food retail space in a range of unit sizes that encourage a broader range of national, regional and local operators into the town.
- Uses that enhance the attraction of the town to visitors and as an evening destination for social and leisure activities.
- creative and imaginative public realm improvements as well as new urban spaces which integrate new development areas with the towns historic centre and which also incorporate and enhance the River Frome as a feature within the town centre.
- At least half of the 11,500 sq.m of flexible office/studio space requirement (see Table 10 - photo above) including a permanent site for FETE within the Saxonvale area." (pg. 61)
To comment on the Local Plan you can contact officers via the customer services team on (01749) 648999 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. If more suitable for you to drop into the Council's offices at Shepton Mallet, please ring to arrange an appointment.
The Consultation period will run between 22nd November 2012 and 17th January 2013.
Background information on Saxonvale is here.