Profile image for locallad9

SO-the bottom line here is Friend of Frome and the other ANTI big chain stores is YOU ALL want Frome to be full of independent shops and no big retail giants allowed.

I LOVE INDEPENDENT SHOPS believe it or not as a mechanic i use Popes (now Autogear)or Jon at Autocare who CAN compete and be less expensive than Halfords.

I HATE Catherine hill and those bloody DANGEROUS cobbles it was fine when it was tarmac,i have operated a refuse to use policy as i have seen many people slip up on those dangerous things (Yet another council cock up putting them there in the first place).

I use MANY OTHER smaller retail independents BUT we should EMBRACE ALL RETAIL n o matter how big or how small.

These BOFFINS who sit behind black blinds/have no friends,not contactable by phone who do these "reports"on Big retail really do not live in the real world.

I WELCOME ALL retailers.

BRING IT ON.

By locallad9 at 10:18 on 11/12/13

Re-post           

• Profile image for friendoffrome

Got that wrong again Local - nothing wrong with retail chains - like drink - OK in moderation. Frome needs enough to give choice but not of such a great number and size that they kill of non-chain shops in the town. That would reduce variety. It is remarkable for instance how many chain clothing stores resemble each other in the type of clothes offered. Costa has come to town and has not crushed the locals coffee shops. But if Cafe Nero or Starbucks(no tax) also came then it would restrict choice since they resemble each other so much.
    Catherine Hill don't go there if you don't like cobbles. It amuses me that people may complain about Catherine Hill but rave about the quaint picturesque streets abroad in Dinant or or the villages of Italy to which tourists flock in hundreds of thousands.

By friendoffrome at 15:52 on 11/12/13

You cannot refute the facts of a report by simply calling the researchers names. What sort of reasoning is that?

By friendoffrome at 15:55 on 11/12/13

• Profile image for redfrome

We want a town centre not a centre of town. We need shops, and ones we can shop at instead of keep going out of town to do so. Burlesque style haberdashery is not what the overwhelming number of residents want, otherwise Sainsbury's and Asda car parks would be empty like Market Yard. Are they? Me thinks not!

By redfrome at 23:21 on 13/12/13

more exaggeration "burlesques style haberdashery`" was not mentioned by me or anyone else on this board. What shops you get in town will be decided to some degree by the retailing groups. Some of the bigger ones will take a look at the zone and decide if they have one of their stores in the zone they will not build another within 12 miles relying on their attraction to pull in people from that distance in their cars. So some of the names you see in Bath or Trowbridge will not come to Frome as it is too small and they already achieve sale to people living in Frome without going to the expense of building another store

By friendoffrome at 11:47 on 14/12/13

• Profile image for redfrome

I mentioned it FOF. Didn't realise you thought you owned other peoples opinions you P L O N K E R.

Get on your bike.

By redfrome at 18:41 on 15/12/13

Join the Discussion

max 4000 characters

Search for...

Min price is bigger than Max price

Min price is bigger than Max price

Min rent is bigger than Max rent